Thursday, February 10, 2011

BLAH.... THE TEST!!!

So... the test didn't go so well. I thought my score was going to be a little higher than it was but there was many questions on the test that I thought were way too hard. I think that a class like this should be graded by how well you understand something. The questions to me are way to in depth and could be a little easier. We went through chapter 14 extremely fast for my likings and could have spent a few more days on the HNMR and CNMR spectrums in my opinion. Also, I feel like if we had a test review day things would go much better. Another factor for not doing well on the test was the need of more time. I felt very rushed and yes! I understand that eventually some of us will take tests like this that are timed but at the same time I think because this is an actual class we should have accurate time to do the problems and questions.

Some questions on the test that i didn't expect to do were number 15 and number 11. I think these questions are doable but could be worded differently and broken down. I think that time could have been saved on question 15 if the graphs were given and then we provided the different frequencies, the same for number 13.

I expected to see more questions that were similar to our sapling homework. There were a lot of Sapling problems and I feel like doing them didn't really prepare me much for this test even though on the past test I think Sapling did provide with studying assistance. A question that I really thought would have been on the test was counting the number of signals CNMR and HNMR for each compound. That was kind of a simple question but yet would have given us a chance for some easy points. Every test needs a few of those.

I did horrible on this first test, but I think with tutoring i maybe okay next test. I am doing pretty much all of the practice problems so therefore i should do decent I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Yes girl I totally understand where you're coming from. I also feel the same way too. I felt as if I was ready for the exam to find out that I was not at all ready when I finished it =S I know that we are adults and that we should take the initiative and do all the out-of class work. Dr. M shouldn't be giving extra work on top of what he already does but I feel that especially with difficult concepts like NMR and IR he should. I wish he had taken a little more time to explain NMR in class and work problems with us together and gave us hunts on how to tackle NMR. I did figure that he would probably include problems from the other sites he mentioned because he kept mentioning to do problems form them awful lot but when I actually studied for the test and went over sapling I ran out of time =( not great time management. I'm pretty sure a lot of people in class didn't go through the external links too. Well, I now know to look at them for the finals.
    People have done it before us and we wouldn't be the last ones to do it. So we can do it!!!
    Good luck girl!!!
    AE

    ReplyDelete